! Please note that this is a snapshot of our old Bugzilla server, which is read only since May 29, 2020. Please go to gitlab.xfce.org for our new server !
Idea: Advanced Window Tiling


Description Lucas Sichardt 2012-06-28 12:04:37 CEST
Today many people are using big screens and it is often very useful to place several windows next to each other.

With introduction of Gnome 3 (or even Windows 7) there's the feature of tiling windows to half of the screen by dragging them to the edge of the screen. Now you have included this feature in XFCE 4.10. 
But for me it comes more and more clear that tiling windows to half the screen is not ideal. 

I would think it is more useful to define more possible tiling rules. Perhaps dragging a window to the right edge should still make the window covering the right half of the screen. 
But for example a file manager's window could be useful when being tiled to fit in the upper right corner covering 25% of the screen. 
So what I mean is that dragging to edges could make the window covering half of the screen and dragging to corners could make them covering the corresponding quarter of the screen.

To make it absolutely ingenious there could be an option to define the proportions manually. An example: I'm almost always using my browser covering something like 70% of my screen horizontally as this is the width most web pages need and fit to (many web pages are not shown wider at all when having more space - see this webpage ;) ). I then often use the remaining 30% for messenger windows, file manager windows or something else - which is really good usable.

So perhaps there could be an option where I could define thos 70/30 proportion for horizontal tiling. Then when dragging a window to the left egde it would cover the left 70% of the screen (vertically maximized) and when dragging a window to the right edge it would cover the right 30% of the screen (vertically maximized). Finally when dragging a window to the right upper corner it would be sized to 30% of the screen width and half the screen height being positioned in the upper right corner.

And so on...

But note; it is always the same: I don't know how much work this is and I don't know on which level it would have to be implemented. 

I don't know - just a suggestion...

By the way: It would be good if "window tiling" and switching workspaces by mouse pointer would exclude each other in the settings...
Comment 1 Raphael Groner 2012-08-06 20:38:11 CEST
Good thoughts. But Xfce is neither Gnome3, nor Windows7.
To keep Xfce as lightweight as it is and wants to be, there shouldn't be too much hidden features, users could get confused very quickly.
Comment 2 Andre Miranda editbugs 2014-09-11 01:24:39 CEST
There is a similar reasoning going on Bug 9927.
Comment 3 Simon Steinbeiss editbugs 2015-02-17 20:46:29 CET
Actually corner-tiling is implemented now and I think this enough for the average user.

If you want more tiling options, there are a lot of tiling WMs and even wrapper scripts for Xfwm4 for further tiling options and customizations.

If it were up to me (but it isn't) I'd close this bug as wontfix ;)
Comment 4 Olivier Fourdan editbugs 2015-02-23 09:43:49 CET
xfwm4 is not a tiling window manager and does not aim to become one, if that's what you're looking for there are plenty of much better candidates out there for this.
Comment 5 Simon Steinbeiss editbugs 2015-02-23 10:20:16 CET
Righty, closing this as wontfix.

Bug #9061

Reported by:
Lucas Sichardt
Reported on: 2012-06-28
Last modified on: 2015-02-23


Olivier Fourdan
CC List:
4 users




Additional information