I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to use the keyboard window shortcut settings dialog.
Several people on the mailing list chimed in and explained it to me, and eventually I got the really simple method of just pressing the keys and they magically appear.
This was after I had already given up on that and manually edited the keyboard settings xml file.
I think the usability of the dialog could be improved by:
- (un)shading the "Shortcut:" text entry box where you enter the key(s).
- more explicitly explaining what to do. (like "enter the keys here now:").
See the ml discussion here:
You can assign this bug to me, and I'll come up with a patch for it.
Created attachment 2226
Give the user more explicit shortcut entry instructions
In the shortcut dialog:
- Grow the table to 3 rows.
- Change the "Shortcut:" label to say "Press the desired shortcut keys now ..."
- Grow the instructions to span both columns.
- Put the shortcut_label in both columns of the new 3rd row.
I'd be ok with something like that because I agree on the lack of usability here. However, since this patch changes the strings to be translated, it's impossible to add it in 4.6.1. We could aply it in the 4.8 cycle though.
(In reply to comment #2)
> I'd be ok with something like that because I agree on the lack of usability
> here. However, since this patch changes the strings to be translated, it's
> impossible to add it in 4.6.1. We could aply it in the 4.8 cycle though.
Sounds good to me. In the meantime, I guess I could set up a frame widget around the label to make it stand out a little more.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 5414 ***