I am using the smart window placement to open all windows at the center of the screen.
The settings I am using as follows:
Window Manager Tweaks\Placement\Minimum size of windows = set to large (the right position of the slider)
Window Manager Tweaks\Placement\By default, place windows = at the center of the screen.
The problem that the xfwm4 does not respect these settings after reboot.
I am running Arch Linux x64 with LightDM and XFCE 4.12.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Close all windows. Set settings in Window Manager Tweaks like mentioned above.
2. Open Xfce terminal - it will be opened at the center of the desktop, as expected.
3. Reboot your PC.
4. Open Xfce terminal again - it will be opened at the top left corner of the screen.
If if will open Window Manager Tweaks\Placement and change the slider position to left and back to right, xfwm4 will do the smart window placement properly.
As a temporary workaround, I added the following script in the session/startup:
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/placement_ratio -s 90
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/placement_ratio -s 100
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/placement_mode -s mouse
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/placement_mode -s center
It resolves the issue.
xfwm4 relies on xfconf to save and retrieve configuration options, so most likely, if anything, it's a bug in xfconf rather than xfwm4.
Anything particular in your setup, NFS mounted home directories? Customized startup scripts?
Can you please do the following:
1. Capture the current configuration:
$ xfconf-query -vl -c xfwm4 > xfconf-before.txt
2. Change the settings in the UI
3. Capture the new configuration:
$ xfconf-query -vl -c xfwm4 > xfconf-after.txt
4. Attach both "xfconf-before.txt" and "xfconf-after.txt" to this bugzilla
5. Attach the output of "env"
Created attachment 6291
the output of the env command
Created attachment 6292
xconf right after the login(window placement does not work)
Created attachment 6293
xconf after UI changes, when everything works properly
Files are added.
I do not use NFS home.
My startup script, loaded from session/startup in xfce:
Also, here is my exact software versions
[hb860@roompc xfce4]$ pacman -Ss xfconf
extra/xfconf 4.12.0-1 (xfce4) [installed]
A simple client-server configuration storage and query system
extra/xfwm4 4.12.3-1 (xfce4) [installed]
Xfce window manager
Here is another observation:
If i restart xfwm4 without reboot or logout, the window placement does not work until i change the window placement settings as mentioned early.
I did the following:
1. Applied my workaround, new windows are opening at the center of the screen.
2. Opened Session and Startup\Session.
3. Selected xfwm4 in the list of running apps and pressed the "Quit Program" button.
4. Started xfwm4. New windows are opening under the mouse cursor until i will apply the workaround.
I hope this will help to diagnose the issue.
My xfwm4 is as follows:
This is xfwm4 version 4.12.3 (revision 7fdcb53) for Xfce 4.12
Released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
Compiled against GTK+-2.24.28, using GTK+-2.24.28.
Build configuration and supported features:
- Startup notification support: Yes
- XSync support: Yes
- Render support: Yes
- Xrandr support: Yes
- Embedded compositor: Yes
- KDE systray proxy (deprecated): No
I think this is a dupe of bug 11788
The theme takes precedence over the user settings and some theme designer think they're so much smarter than their users and force some options in the themerc that are completely unrelated to the actual theme itself...
Can you check the content of the themerc of the xfwm4 theme you use and possibly reproduce with a different xfwm4 theme (try the default xfwm4 theme)?
Thank you very much Oliver!
It has "placement_ratio=20"
That's why i am faced with the "bug".
(In reply to Sergey from comment #10)
> Thank you very much Oliver!
> It has "placement_ratio=20"
> That's why i am faced with the "bug".
*Olivier, sorry! I was very happy and made a typo :)
The default/expected behavior by design.