The "Hide Window" setting of Xfwm only works on real windows rather than dialogs. This might make sense from the WM code logic but can be confusing for end users. In particular:
- there is no visual feedback that Xfwm understood the command but simply refused to process it
- the distinction between dialog and window is almost a semantic detail when many apps including most Xfce settings dialogs use dialogs instead of actual windows. It just doesn't make much sense that a parentless dialog cannot be controlled like an actual window.
- Make parentless dialogs behave like real windows and hide them
- (optional) When hiding a parented dialog, either:
- hide it with its parent (probably better as it makes for a more consistent UX)
- or provide visual feedback to the user so they know the command was processed by Xfwm but the dialog cannot be hidden
-- GitLab Migration Automatic Message --
This bug has been migrated to xfce.org's GitLab instance and has been closed from further activity.
You can subscribe and participate further through the new bug through this link to our GitLab instance: https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/-/issues/168.
Please create an account or use an existing account on one of our supported OAuth providers.
If you want to fork to submit patches and merge requests please continue reading here: https://docs.xfce.org/contribute/dev/git/start#gitlab_forks_and_merge_requests
Also feel free to reach out to us on the mailing list https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce4-dev