When using the xfwm compositor, anytime a terminal(xterm, aterm, gnome-terminal,
Terminal) X freezes and I have to reboot, other programs run fine. Works fine
when using xcompmgr instead.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. start xfwm with compositor on
2. set a terminal to be transpent (using transset or xfwm moving opacity option)
X freezes, need to reboot
terminal becomes transpent
This is a bug with your video driver.
The long answer:
- I'm sure it's a video driver bug because a user space application cannot
freeze a system and force you to reboot.
- There are several similar reports with recent NVidia drivers (myself, both of
my systems are affected by this bug)
- xcompmgr has the same problem (try this, activate transparency using transset
with xcompmgr and resize the window as fast as you can)
- "nv" driver works fine although a lot slower.